WHAT IT IS
- Detention centers are federal facilities that hold individuals who have migrated to the United States illegally.
- The U.S. Immigrant and Customs Enforcement (ICE) handles all detention centers. [TIME]
- A large majority of detention centers exist near the U.S.-Mexico border. See locations made publically available by ICE here.
- The Trump administration has been criticized for the conditions at the detention centers and for the family separation policy.
- During the Trump administration, at least 24 immigrants, including 7 children, have died in detention centers. [TIME]
- Read the history of U.S. detention policy here.
- Listen to "Life Inside U.S. Migrant Detention Centers" from WBUR.